Saturday, April 5, 2008

II SAMUEL 1-5 OBSERVATIONS

Now begins the story of David and his reign

CHAPTER 1
Saul is dead, and 3 days later a man from Saul's army came to David saying:
  • I escaped from the Israeli camp
  • the people fled the battle, many are fallen and dead, including Saul and Jonathan
David asked him how he knew Saul was dead
  • I happened on Saul by chance at Mt Gilboa and saw Saul leaning on his spear and he called me, asking who I was
  • I told him I am an Amalakite (ohh?? I thought earlier he told David he was from the camp of Israel) (this probably caused David's discernment to begin to peak up).
  • Saul then said to me (no Saul said this to his armor bearer), kill me for I am about to die but my life still remains in me (this was not true...what Saul said was take your sword and kill me lest these uncircumcised men come and thrust me through and abuse me...but his armor bearer would not do it. And Saul took his own sword and fell on it killing himself...and then his armor bearer seeing Saul was dead, fell on his own sword and killed himself---so this guy's story really didn't match reality)
  • So "I stood over him and killed him, because I as sure that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown that was on his head and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord."
  • David's response was to mourn.
  • David then asked him again, who are you?
  • I am a son of an Amalekite.
  • David: How was it you were not afraid to put forth your hand to destroy the Lord's anointed?
    • Note: Even though David knew Saul was his enemey, he still had respect for his position and authority which had been assigned to Saul by God via Samuel. David was able to separate the person and their office from the person and their deeds. This is hard for people to do even today.
    • Q. Can I look at my enemy whom God has put in positions of authority over me and respect their position even though they don't deserve that respect because of their deeds?
  • David then called one of his men to kill that man telling him his own blood was on his own head because of what his own mouth had said.
    • Comment: life is precious, even the life of an enemy...but especially an enemy who is the Lord's anointed.
CHAPTER 2
  • God then directed David to go to Hebron with his family and 600 men
  • The men of Judah then anointed him king over Judah.
  • HOWEVER--Abner, the son of Saul's army commander, took Saul's son, Ishbosheth, and made him king over all Israel, and he reigned two years
  • But Judah followed David
    • Note: this actually shows the little beginning of the split in the kingdom between the nothern 10 and southern 2 tribes
  • Israel and Judah then go to war against each other.
    • But Abner and Israel were beaten by servants of David.
CHAPTER 3
  • Long war between house of David and house of Saul
  • David grew stronger and stronger...but Saul's house weaker and weaker
  • David's sons (in Hebron):
    • Amnon (Ahinoam-Jezereelites)
    • Chileab (Abigail)
    • Absalom (Maacah--daughter of king of Geshur)
    • Adonijah (Haggith)
    • Shephatiah (Abital)
    • Ithream (Eglah)
  • Ishobtheth ridicules Abner and so Abner (from Saul's army) then joined forces with David.
  • David makes a covenant with Abner to switch all Israel to David, and the covenant also includes bringing Michal along as well.
  • Joab then kills Abner to avenge the death of his brother Asahel.
  • David morns the death of Abner (again David valued life, even of one who had been his enemy but more recently became his friend).
  • David then asks if there are any relatives of Jonathan that he could show kindness to...
  • Ishbosheth, lame in the feet, was a son.
  • But Rechab and Baanah killed Ishbosheth, thinking it would please David.
  • When David heard about it, he had them executed.

No comments: