Monday, April 28, 2008

1 CHRON 16-17 OBSERVATIONS

CHAPTER 16

Ark Placed in the Tabernacle

· David arranges to get the ark back in the tabernacle, blesses the people, offers peace offerings and gives all the people a little gift

· He appointed Levites to minister before the ark

· Why?

1) To commemorate

2) To thank

3) To praise the Lord God of Israel.

David’s Song of Thanksgiving

· Note the action directed and object of focus in this song of David’s:

o Give thanks

o Call upon His name

o Make known His deeds

o Sing to Him

o Talk

o Glory

o Seek

o Seek

o Remember

· Note the focus of the next section:

o He is

o His judgments are

o His covenant to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob remember

o Even though they wandered from one nation to another, He did not permit them to harm His people.

o Sing

o Proclaim

o Declare

· Why? For the Lord is:

o Great

o Greatly to be praised

o Also to be feared above all gods

· So

o Give (to the Lord) [Who? Families of the peoples]

o Give (to the Lord) [What? Glory and strength]

o Give (to the Lord) [What? Glory due His name]

o Bring (offering)

o Worship (Him)

o Tremble (before Him)

Regular Worship Maintained

CHAPTER 17

God’s Covenant with David

· David wants to build a house for the Ark and the Lord

· Nathan initially tells him it OK

· Then God comes to Nathan in a dream at night

· God:

o Past:

§ I took you from being a sheepherder and made you a ruler

o Present

§ I have been with you

§ Cut off you enemies

§ Made a name for you like the greatest on earth

o Future

§ I will appoint a place for Israel (My people)

§ I will plant them

o CAL:

§ I commanded Judges

§ I will subdue your enemies

§ I will set up your seed after you & establish his kingdom

§ He will build me a house

§ I will establish his throne forever

§ I will be his father

§ He will be my son

§ I will not take My mercy away from him as I took it away from Saul

§ I will establish him in My house and in My kingdom forever.

· David’s response:

o Who am I

o What is my house that YOU have brought me this far?

o David then refers to YOU 29 times in the next 12 verses.

o His focus is really on the Lord

Davidic Covenant in Chronicles


1 Chronicles 17:7 - 27 (NASB) 7“Now, therefore, thus shall you say to My servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be leader over My people Israel. 8“I have been with you wherever you have gone, and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make you a name like the name of the great ones who are in the earth. 9“I will appoint a place for My people Israel, and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and not be moved again; and the wicked will not waste them anymore as formerly, 10even from the day that I commanded judges to be over My people Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies. Moreover, I tell you that the LORD will build a house for you. 11“When your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up one of your descendants after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. 12“He shall build for Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever. 13“I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My lovingkindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you. 14“But I will settle him in My house and in My kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever.”’” 15According to all these words and according to all this vision, so Nathan spoke to David. 16Then David the king went in and sat before the LORD and said, “Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my house that You have brought me this far? 17“This was a small thing in Your eyes, O God; but You have spoken of Your servant’s house for a great while to come, and have regarded me according to the standard of a man of high degree, O LORD God. 18“What more can David still say to You concerning the honor bestowed on Your servant? For You know Your servant. 19O LORD, for Your servant’s sake, and according to Your own heart, You have wrought all this greatness, to make known all these great things. 20O LORD, there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears. 21“And what one nation in the earth is like Your people Israel, whom God went to redeem for Himself as a people, to make You a name by great and terrible things, in driving out nations from before Your people, whom You redeemed out of Egypt? 22“For Your people Israel You made Your own people forever, and You, O LORD, became their God. 23“Now, O LORD, let the word that You have spoken concerning Your servant and concerning his house be established forever, and do as You have spoken. 24“Let Your name be established and magnified forever, saying, ‘The LORD of hosts is the God of Israel, even a God to Israel; and the house of David Your servant is established before You. 25“For You, O my God, have revealed to Your servant that You will build for him a house; therefore Your servant has found courage to pray before You. 26“Now, O LORD, You are God, and have promised this good thing to Your servant. 27“And now it has pleased You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may continue forever before You; for You, O LORD, have blessed, and it is blessed forever.”


1 Chronicles 22:6 - 16 (NASB) 6Then he called for his son Solomon, and charged him to build a house for the LORD God of Israel. 7David said to Solomon, “My son, I had intended to build a house to the name of the LORD my God. 8But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars; you shall not build a house to My name, because you have shed so much blood on the earth before Me. 9‘Behold, a son will be born to you, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side; for his name shall be £Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days. 10‘He shall build a house for My name, and he shall be My son and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’ 11“Now, my son, the LORD be with you that you may be successful, and build the house of the LORD your God just as He has spoken concerning you. 12“Only the LORD give you discretion and understanding, and give you charge over Israel, so that you may keep the law of the LORD your God. 13Then you will prosper, if you are careful to observe the statutes and the ordinances which the LORD commanded Moses concerning Israel. Be strong and courageous, do not fear nor be dismayed. 14“Now behold, with great pains I have prepared for the house of the LORD 100,000 talents of gold and 1,000,000 talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond weight, for they are in great quantity; also timber and stone I have prepared, and you may add to them. 15“Moreover, there are many workmen with you, stonecutters and masons of stone and carpenters, and all men who are skillful in every kind of work. 16“Of the gold, the silver and the bronze and the iron there is no limit. Arise and work, and may the LORD be with you.”


1 Chronicles 28:6 - 7 (NASB) 6He said to me, ‘Your son Solomon is the one who shall build My house and My courts; for I have chosen him to be a son to Me, and I will be a father to him. 7I will establish his kingdom forever if he resolutely performs My commandments and My ordinances, as is done now.’


2 Chronicles 6:8 - 9 (NASB) 8But the LORD said to my father David, ‘Because it was in your heart to build a house for My name, you did well that it was in your heart. 9‘Nevertheless you shall not build the house, but your son who will be born to you, he shall build the house for My name.’


2 Chronicles 6:16 - 17 (NASB) 16“Now therefore, O LORD, the God of Israel, keep with Your servant David, my father, that which You have promised him, saying, ‘You shall not lack a man to sit on the throne of Israel, if only your sons take heed to their way, to walk in My law as you have walked before Me. 17“Now therefore, O LORD, the God of Israel, let Your word be confirmed which You have spoken to Your servant David.


2 Chronicles 7:17 - 18 (NASB) 17“As for you, if you walk before Me as your father David walked, even to do according to all that I have commanded you, and will keep My statutes and My ordinances, 18then I will establish your royal throne as I covenanted with your father David, saying, ‘You shall not lack a man to be ruler in Israel.’


2 Chronicles 13:4 - 5 (NASB) 4Then Abijah stood on Mount Zemaraim, which is in the hill country of Ephraim, and said, “Listen to me, Jeroboam and all Israel: 5“Do you not know that the LORD God of Israel gave the rule over Israel forever to David and his sons by a covenant of salt?


2 Chronicles 21:7 (NASB) 7Yet the LORD was not willing to destroy the house of David because of the covenant which He had made with David, and since He had promised to give a lamp to him and his sons forever.

No comments: